Monday, August 3, 2015

Ready. Set. Write! Week 9

Ready. Set. Write! is a weekly blog check in so writers can cheer each other on and support each other. Check out one of the lovely host bloggers (Erin FunkJaime MorrowKaty UppermanAlison Miller, and Elodie Nowodazkij) for more details and to join in. It's never too late to start!



How I did on last week's goal: I wanted to get 3,500 words and I did 7,000! This may or may not have caused me to scare the cat with my awesome dance moves.

My goal for this week: I am going for 5,000 words this week.

A favorite line from my story OR a word or word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised: 

Begin Again.

After confessing to being a serial early chapters polisher last week I ended up THROWING MY SHINING BEAUTIES AWAY because I realized I was starting at the wrong point in the story, which is why all the polishing in the world wouldn't make those chapters work.

Yup, I pulled a Michael Finnegan. 

The biggest challenge I faced this week: The siren song of Stars Hollow. The only way I can get any writing done is to eschew (I have no idea how to actually pronounce that word. Does it just sound like a sneeze?) TV. 

Sadly, all I wanted to do this week was curl up and binge on Gilmore Girls until my speaking words-per-minute rate tripled due to overexposure to Lorelai.

But I didn't. Because I really want to finish this book. And then I really want to finish the next one. Because I really, really, really want this writing thing to work, and the only way that will happen is if I keep my butt in the chair and my hands on the keyboard.

(Sadly, overexposure to Lorelai CANNOT triple your typing words-per-minute rate. Life is so unfair sometimes :)) 

Something I love about my WIP: I love that I want it so badly. 

How was your week?

10 comments:

  1. Eeee, congratulations on exceeding your goal so awesomely! I'm sure the cat only acted scared and secretly--so as not to spoil its carefully-maintained image--was joining you in the dancing. And commiserations on having to throw out the chapters too, but you never know, you might be able to exhume them later. :)

    Wanting to finish the story is at least half the battle, I think, maybe more than half. Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing, congrats on the word count. Totally understand on the GG pull. I convinced myself a few months ago to so a binge rewatch as "research" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go on doubling your word count goal! You had a stellar week despite Lorelai and Rory tempting you away from your keyboard. And boy, do I ever wish I could write as fast as Lorelai talks too. That would be incredible. Good luck on that next 5k!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty sure it IS basically a sneezy sound--short e + shoe. Unless I've been saying it wrong, which is entirely possible, haha... Congrats on getting so much written! The Gilmore pull is VERY strong, and you should be proud of your ability to resist it. Good luck with your words this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 7000 words - awesome! :D I haven't had time to watch TV in months. It's always the first thing to go when I have deadlines!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you about wanting to watch Gilmore Girls instead of writing :) But yay for doing awesome! And yep, sometimes the beginning just takes a bit to reveal itself and starting again is the way to go...Cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I love that I want this so badly." <-- This is fantastic. It's so important that this drive stays throughout. <3 this. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one who had the distraction by things other than the WIP. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job in smashing those goals, love all of your Lorelai comments. Way to buckle down and get er done!! I need some of that determination over here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on meeting and writing DOUBLE your goal! That is amazing!

    I've had to toss beginnings, too, in the past. I'm about to toss about 11k of my current WIP b/c I took a very wrong turn. It's about half of it, which sucks but is necessary. It happens. As long as you keep moving forward, and listening to your gut, you'll be fine. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is fabulous on last weeks goals! You're blowing it out of the water. You can do this. Funny thing when I saw Begin Again it made me grin. I just saw the movie yesterday and I am currently listening to the soundtrack to the movie as I go through posts and comments! Keep on loving your story and knock this week out as well.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?