Monday, August 10, 2015

Ready. Set. Write! Week 10

Ready. Set. Write! is a weekly blog check in so writers can cheer each other on and support each other. Check out one of the lovely host bloggers (Erin FunkJaime MorrowKaty UppermanAlison Miller, and Elodie Nowodazkij) for more details :)


How I did on last week's goal: So close! I wanted to hit 5,000 and I got 4,500.

My goal for this week: Write 2,000 words and survive two sick toddlers (it's winter here and we are getting all the preschool germs).

A favorite line from my story OR a word or word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised:

A quick peek in the mirror told me that I looked like exactly what I was: a Medusa-haired loser with ice cream stains on her shirt, melted chocolate on her nose, and (oh sweet baby Kardashian whose name I cannot remember right now) no pants.
No. Freaking. Pants.
I’d just thrown a cat at Ben Easton and then shown him my underwear.
This was bad on many levels. 

The biggest challenge I faced this week: The total and complete lack of a montage moment. You know in Footloose when Willard is learning to dance and it all happens in three minutes and there's a snappy song AND he gets to wrestle with a young Kevin Bacon?


Writing is not like that. AT ALL. It takes soooo much longer than three minutes and some days it is all I can do to stay in the chair and eke out 250 words and there is NEVER a young Kevin Bacon to wrestle with.

Alas. This week was more of an endless slog than a dance montage, but some weeks are like that, right?

Something I love about my WIP Writing: I'm going to cheat on this one and change the question (I'm a rebel, Dotty!)...


I love this community. I have been hit with some real life stress bombs in the last few months, and it's easy to stop writing at times like that. In the past I have done exactly that, but I didn't this time. Reading your posts and getting encouraging comments has really motivated me to sit down and write, and I want to say thank you :)

How was your week?

10 comments:

  1. Life definitely needs more montages... I'd quite like one for difficult work shifts too, something that makes it seem effortless rather than like pulling teeth. :p

    You weren't too far shy of your goal, which is brilliant! I hope your little ones are feeling better soon too, not fun for any of you when they're ill. :/ Good luck with that and your goals this week!

    I love that excerpt! I've no idea what happened to your poor MC to lead up to that but the mental images are absolutely fantastic! *trying very hard not to laugh out loud and wake up sleeping people, not wholly succeeding*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! I love this writerly community too! Every time I want to give up, my CPs and other writer friends refuse to let me. :) And you're right, there's just so much love and support and awesomeness out there. Glad you found it!

    Also, 4500 words is AWESOME! Keep it up, lady! And I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, love the excerpt! It really made me laugh.

    Hope your kids feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4,500 words is awesome. Go Carrie! and I LOVED the snippet of the NA (?) you shared. The voice is so loud and clear! Hope your kiddos feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting in 4500 words is a nice solid week even if it did feel like a slog at times, so good for you!

    Your excerpt had me laughing like crazy! Your poor mc! I really feel for her right now.

    Hang in there with those sick kiddos, and I hope this week feels more like a dance montage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The line from your WIP sounds awesome! Also, you def should celebrate the word count you established this past week. Good luck on your goals this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL @ sweet baby Kardashian. <3 <3 Your voice sounds AMAZING in that excerpt and I want to read your WIP right now.

    Sorry that your life won't form montages to get you through the tedious stuff--sometimes I wish mine would, too, but instead I end up with montages of all the good/fun moments as they race past. UNFAIR.

    Good luck on your goals this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, I wish that I had a dance montage for some of this stuff. It would make things much better. I hope the kiddos feel better soon and you're able to get stuff done. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you survive the germs this week being sick is no fun! Also you still did great last week so go you! Spray/wipe everything!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This community is so great, and that's why I love doing RSW every summer. So sorry to hear about the stress bombs, and I hope there are fewer of them moving forward. Good job on your goals last week though, and good luck on the ones this week!!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?